While it looks like the weather might get a little warmer around February 15th, we’re bracing for a bit of a cold front in the next couple of days, and this can be bad for your car! Luckily, your friends at TM Auto Wholesalers have got you covered with 6 great tips on winter weather maintenance preparedness!
1. Antifreeze (Coolant): Antifreeze should be flushed and changed at least every two years. If you have any questions on how to perform this task on your own, be sure to consult the first in our handy Every Driver Should Know series, How to Change Antifreeze.
2. Oil: Be vigilant in changing your oil according to both the guidelines set out by your owner’s manual, and by the changing of the seasons. As a general rule of thumb, you should consider dropping to lower viscosity oil in the cold winter months. For example, if you are currently using 10-30W oil, switch down to 5-30W oil.
3. Brakes: As the old saying goes “we are all the sum of our parts.” Your car is the same way. Indeed, it is very unsafe to drive a car when you are unsure of the quality of its braking system, so remember to have it checked first!
4. Batteries: Unfortunately, batteries don’t give much of an early warning sign before they die, so replace any batteries that are over three years old. If your battery is under three years old, be sure to charge it before driving in the winter since cold, wet weather can have a seriously adverse effect on battery longevity.
5. Wipers & Lights: Most drivers won’t check before every drive that wipers and lights are in good, working order, but it is good practice to do a full check once a month. Replace any bulbs that have gone out and check that the wiper fluid reservoirs are topped off.
6. Tires: Inspect your tires to ensure uniform tread depth and tire pressure. Tires are prone to losing air during winter months, so pump more air as needed on a weekly basis. This goes for the spare tire as well!
If you follow all of these tips, then you will minimize your risk of accident during the season known for some of the nastiest ones. Don’t worry if you aren’t sure how to accomplish all of the items outlined in this blog post, that’s what your friends at TM Auto are for, and you should never be afraid to ask for help! If you haven’t bought a quality used vehicle through us yet, then what are you waiting for? Check out our inventory, and be sure to note that every vehicle comes backed with a Carfax vehicle history report so that you know that know your prospective vehicle doesn’t come with any unseen burden! If you would like to make an appointment, or would just like to chat before deciding further, then please contact us by email email@example.com, or by phone at 757-560-4252. Ask for Mike, and make sure you’re prepared, because you have never bought a car this easily!
February, Weather, Bad Weather, Winter, Used Cars, Used Vehicles, Used Trucks, Used SUVs